Bekal Fort is the largest fort in Kerala which situates 12 km away from Kasaragod town. Bekal Fort is spread over 40 acres (160,000 m2) besides the Arabian Sea. Nearest railway Station is Bekal Fort railway Station [BFR]. Bekal Fort is situated near the Kasaragod- Kanhangd State Highway.
During the Perumal Age Bekal was a part of Mahodayapuram. Following the decline of MahodayapuramPerumals, Bekal came under the sovereignty of the Mushika or Kolathiri or Chirakkal Royal Family in the 12th century. The maritime importance of Bekal increased under the Kolathiris and Malabar became an important port town.
After the Battle of Talikota in 1565 feudatory chieftains including the KeladiNayakas (IkkeriNayaks) became powerful in the region. Bekal served as a hub to first dominate, then later defend Malabar. The economic importance of this port town prompted the Nayakas to fortify Bekal subsequently. HiriyaVenkatappaNayaka initiated the construction of the fort and it was completed in 1650 AD by ShivappaNayaka. Chandragiri fort near Kasargod was also built during this period.
The struggles between the Kolathiries and nayaks to hold this area ended when Hyder Ali conquered the Nayakas and Bekal fell into the hands of Mysore kings.
It was an important military station for Tipu Sultan when he led a military expedition to capture Malabar. The coins and artefacts found in archaeological excavations at Bekal fort indicate the strong presence of Mysore Sultans. Tipu Sultan's death during the Fourth Anglo-Mysore War ended Mysorean control in 1799. The fort came under the British East India Company's control and became the headquarters of the BekalTaluk of South Canara District in Bombay presidency. The political and economic importance of Bekal and its port declined.
Nearby the Mukhyaprana Temple of Hanuman and ancient Muslim mosque bear testimony to the religious harmony that prevailed in the area. [Courtesy: Wikipedia]
Bekal beach is situated near Bekal Fort.
Chandragiri Fort is a fort built in the 17th century, situated 6 km away from Kasaragod Town. This large squarish fort is 150 feet (46 m) above sea level and occupies an area of about seven acres adjacent to Chandragiririver. The fort is now in ruins. The fort is located at the mouth of the Chandragiri river
Nellikkunnu Beach & light House
Nellikkunnu beach is located 2.5 km away from Kasaragod town. Light house, the sole type in Kasaragod, locates in this location. It was built under the Kochi shipyard
Thaikadappuram Beach Nileshwar
Situated 36 km away from Kasaragod town near Nileshwaram village. Thaikadappuram Beach is famous for a particular reason other than its scenic beauty and sunset views. The beach is special for its visitors as the uncommon view of the rare Olive Ridley Turtles is possible here. These amazing varmints lay eggs on the beach every monsoon season, making it the best season to visit this beach. Olive Ridleys are bred here by activists of Neythal, a nongovernmental organization. Azhithala beach is the nearest tourist attraction. Nearest railway station is Nileswaram [NLE]
Kottappuram House Boat
Kottappuram backwater is situated at Nileshwar, 35 km away from Kasaragod town. Kottappuram is famous for house boat service.
Valiyaparamba is situated 50 km away from Kasaragod town. Valiyaparamba is a scenic island in the Arabian Sea in Kasaragod district of Kerala with unspoilt empty golden sand beach and one of the most beautiful backwater stretches in Kerala. Valiyaparamba is fed by four rivers and dotted with many small islands. One of the few places where you can witness both the glory of the sun rising and the sun setting.
Ranipuram is a hill station and trekking point in Kasaragod, which is known as ‘Ootty of Kerala’. Ranipuram is situated 55 km away from Kasaragod town. It is situated 750 m above sea level. Nearest railway station is Kanhangad [KZE]. Regular buses are available on this route and jeep rides are another favourite among all our visitors. It makes for a perfect picnic spot where one can even come across the occasional herd of elephants
A beautiful rain forest near Konnakad, the Kottancheri Hills is a part of the Western Ghats in Kasaragod district and an extension of Ranipuram wildlife sanctuary. The place is 67 kmsaway from Kasaragod town. The picnic centre at Kottancheri Hills makes it a favorite among the travellers. The hills are also ideal for trekking and are credited as trekker’s paradise. The nearness of the Talakaveri in the Brahmagiri mountain range of Kodaku adds to the charm of this place. The Forests of Kottancherry is packed with wildlife and merges with reserved forests of Kasaragod. Wild elephants, wild dogs, deer, wild pigs, rare birds, butterflies are all abundant here. The spot resembles much of the scenic beauty of Kodiakanal.
Posadigumpe is a picnic spot and tourist resort located on a hillock 487.68 metres above sea level near Bayar village, 27 km away from Kasaragod. From the hill top one can see the Arabian Sea, Mangalore and Kudremukh. The place is accessible from NH 17 via Bandyodu or Uppala.
Manjampothikkunnu is a hill station located in Kanhangad town, 29 km away from Kasaragod town and which offers a 360 degree view that includes Arabian Sea and Western Ghats, a rare sight not much found elsewhere.
Ananthapura Lake Temple
Ananthapura Lake Temple, the only lake temple in Kerala. The rectangular lake, supplied with regular spring water, hosts this magnificent temple. It is considered the moolasthanam (original abode) of Lord Ananthapadmanabha, the deity of the famous SreePadmanabhaswamy Temple in Thiruvananthapuram. This 9th-century temple is situated 30 km from Bekal in Kasaragod district. The view of the hillocks from the temple is extremely famous. Babia, the vegetarian crocodile and temple guardian, is popular among visitors. The drive to the temple in itself is extremely peaceful and calming. The temple is open to all regardless of religion or caste. The temple is situated 14 km away from Kassaaragod town. The nearest major railway station to Ananthapura Lake Temple is Kumbla railway station[KMQ] To reach there by road one has to take a deviation from Naikap (4 km from Kumbla) on the Kumbala-Badiyadka road.
ChathurmukhaBasti- Jain Temple
ChathurmukhaBasti is a Jain temple situated 30 km away from Kasaragod town, in the town of Manjeshwar. ChathurmughaBasthi means the four-faced temple. This temple is so called because there are four idols of VardhamanaMahaveera, the founder of Jainism, facing the four directions.
This is one of the two Jain temples located in Manjeshwar. There are four-directional Jain temples in some other places as well
MadhurSreeMadanantheshwara-Siddhivinayaka Temple is a popular Shiva and Ganapathi temple located 7 km from Kasaragod town, on the banks of Mogral river, locally known as Madhuvahini. Though the main deity of this temple is Lord Shiva known as Madanantheshwara, meaning the god who killed Kama, the god of desires, more importance is given to Lord Ganapathi, who is installed facing south in the main sanctum itself. Priests of this temple belong to the Shivalli Brahmin community. Kashi Vishwanatha, Dharmasastha, Subrahmanya, Durga Parameshwari, Veerabhadra and Gulika are the sub-deities of this temple. There is also presence of Goddess Parvati inside the main sanctum.
The MallamDurgaParameshwari Temple is located 15 km away from Kasargodtown inMuliyar Village near Bovikanam. The mallamdurgaparameshwari temple is Centuries old. The presiding deity of this temple is Goddess DurgaParameshwari. This temple constructed by the karate brahmins of maharashtra, is well maintained. The special feature of the MallamDurgaParameshwari Temple is daily Annadanam which consists of distributing food among the devotees. During Tuesdays and Fridays the temple premises are crowded with devotees. They offer their prayers to seek a future of prosperity and a happy life.
An annual festival held here in the month of February or March is a major draw. The festivities last for seven days. During Tuesdays and Fridays the temple premises are crowded with devotees. They offer their prayers seeking a prosperous future and a happy living. Thousands of pilgrims especially women folk throng here throughout the year. This temple is one of the best tourist place in kasaragod, and also the best tourist place in kerala
Maipady Palace is located in Kasaragod district of Kerala . Maipadi was the seat of the Kumbalakings . The palace is located about 8 km from Kasaragod town on the Kasaragod - Perla road . Maipadi Palace is 3 km from Madhur .
It was here that VenkatesaVarma Raja, the last king of Maipadi, lived and ruled the kingdom. This country was formerly known as KumbalaSeema. He died on 10 June 1994. This kingdom included Manjeswaram in the north to Chandragiripuzhha in the south, Mogral in the west (near the Arabian Sea) and Adur in the east at the foothills of the Western Ghats . With independence, this princely state was merged with India.
Anandashram (English translation = "Abode of Bliss") is a spiritual retreat located in Kanhangad, 28 km away from Kasaragod town., Anandashram is located at a junction on the national highway approximately 5 km from the city of Kanhangad. Anandashram was founded by Swami Ramdas and Mother Krishnabai, also called Papa Ramdas and PujyaMataji, in 1931.
During the inaugural ceremony of the Ashram, Swami Ramdas gave a short speech describing the purpose of the Ashram: "The ideal which the ashram holds before it is universal love and service, based upon a vision of divinity in all beings and creatures of the world. Here every man, woman or child, to whatever denomination, creed, or caste the person may belong, shall have free access. This is a place where every effort will be made to cultivate the spirit of mutual love and service, so that what is realized within its walls may prove as an example for the right conduct of human life in outside world."
Anandashram gives free breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner to all devotees who stay in the hostels inside the Ashram and also to all casual visitors. The food is vegetarian and usually includes plenty of milk products. The ashram has its own cattle rearing unit supplying good quality milk
Swami Nithyananda Ashram, Kanhangad, is situated Kanhaangaad Town, 26 km away from Kasaragod. This Ashram was the abode of Swami Nithyananda during his younger days, when he constructed the 43 holy caves carving a single laterite stone, which was adjacent to the Hosadurga fort. These caves are considered to be an engineering marvel even to this day and attract thousands of people from all over the world
Guruvanam (Guru’s Forest) is 5 Kms from the main Swami Nithyananda Ashram and is located in an area full of trees and green vegetation.
Swami Nithyananda did his first Tapas / long medication at this place which was located in a jungle inhabited by wild animals, poisonous snakes and dense trees. In those days there was no availability of water in this area.
Swamiji is believed to have struck a rock here with his hand, creating a sudden gush of water from this barren rocky hill. Water has been flowing from that place ever since. This stream of water named Papanashini Ganga is currently collected into a pool tank. To this day, millions of devotees visit this place and take this as thirtha.
It is believed that many Siddha’s had lived and taken Mahasamadhi at this place. Swami ji also created a circle of eight stones called Ashta Siddha here to commemorate their contributions. At present there is a temple constructed in this location in remembrance of Swamiji.
Recommended place for spiritual seekers
Malik Deenar Mosque
The historic Malik DeenarJuma Masjid built in the typical Kerala style is believed to have been founded by Malik IbnDeenar. The mosque, Juma Masjid, which is one of the best kept and most attractive in the district, is located at Thalankara.
Malik bin Deenar or Malik Ibn Deenar was a Tabi‘in who is famous for being the first to bring Islam to India. In 624 AD, Malik IbnDeenar and 12 of his trade associates landed in Kerala. Their mission was not just trade but to propagate Islam in other parts of the world. The delegation consisted of SharafIbn Malik, his brother Malik IbnDeenar and his nephew Malik IbnHabeebIbn Malik. The mission reached at Kanhirakode (now Kasaragod). Their distinct way of trade and the propagation of Islam soon attracted the attention of the then ruler CheramanPerumal. On enquiry, Malik Bin Deenar and his comrades related the reason for their honest trade practices to be their recent conversion to Islam.
Soon the king was fascinated by the doctrines of this new religion which prompted him to embrace Islam.
They erected the mosque on 13th Rajab, 22 Hijra (A.D.642) and his son Malik Ibn Muhammad was nominated as the Qazi of the mosque. Years later, the mosque was reconstructed in A.D.1809 (1223, Hijra) by the generous helps from the native people. It contains the grave of Malik Ibn Mohammed; one of the descendants of Malik Ibn Deenar and the places is sacred to Muslims. An important local celebration takes place every year in commemoration of the arrival of Malik Ibn Deenar.
Bela Church, also Our Lady of Sorrows Church, is a Roman Catholic church in the Kasargode district , which situates 15 km away from Kasaragod town,
. It was built in 1890 and is thus the oldest church in the district. This Gothic Revival Roman Catholic church, which is under the Manglore Diocese, has recently celebrated its centenary and has also been renovated.